Maynard Cooper recognizes that government contractors require legal counsel with specialized experience and a firm understanding of the complex web of laws and regulations at the federal, state, and local level that govern the relationship between contractors and their government customers. Maynard Cooper has that experience and understanding. Our attorneys have represented a wide variety of government contractors and subcontractors, both defense and non-defense, large businesses to small. We have a deep understanding of the applicable regulations and statutes. In addition, as a full-service law firm, we are able to address an array of other legal matters for our government contracts clients.
Our areas of representation include, but are not limited to:
- Joint Ventures
- Teaming Arrangements
- Bid Protests
- Organizational Conflicts of Interest
- Compliance and Ethics
- Mergers and Acquisitions
- Contract Claims
- Internal Investigations, Voluntary Disclosure, and Agency Compliance Agreements
- Suspension and Debarment
- Foreign Corrupt Practices Act
- Small/Disadvantaged Business Matters
- Schedule Contracts
- International Contracting (Export Controls)
- Representative and Distribution Agreements
- False Claims Act
- Intellectual Property Issues
Our attorneys who service our government contracts clients are highly skilled and develop successful strategies for our clients. Some representative matters that our attorneys have handled include:
- Joint Venture Vehicle for 3 public companies for special procurement
- Numerous Joint Venture Vehicles to position unique capabilities
- Negotiation of numerous teaming agreements
- Special Purpose Entity formations for unique projects
- Proposal Support for Direct Commercial Sale to Foreign Sovereigns
- Corporate and ESOP Counsel to management led buy-out of joint venture divested due to OCI.
- Deal counsel in 10++ significant mid market transactions involving government contractors since 2004.
- Advised contractors through negotiations with the Government and other contractors regarding IP Rights.
- Advised contractors through compliance with Defense Trade Control Regulations (ITAR).
- Advised several contractors with respect to pledge of government account receivables and perfection under the Federal Assignments of Claims Act.
- Corporate Counsel to Regional Banks with respect to underwriting Government Accounts Receivables and developing system-wide template loan documents; counsel to 6+ Regional Banks in numerous transactions involving Federal Assignment of Claims Act.
- Advised contractor through Termination for Convenience cost proposal.
- Assisted contractor to close gaps between contract proposal department on West Coast and contracts administration department on East Coast; develop matrix of standard contract clauses and alternatives for management as well as contracts department.
- Assisted contractor with registration to do business in Iraq.
- Assist contractor with various requirements and financing (partially pre-funded by the Government) to successfully complete international Foreign Military Sale project.
- Advised contractors through novation of government contracts subsequent to sale of business.
- Advised investor group (including owners of government contractor) through development of government contractor owner-occupied office building.
- Restructured clients to Woman-Owned status and other SBA qualified status. Restructure corporation to mitigate organizational conflict of interest and implement written OCI plan.
- Numerous Bid Protests (both as Intervenor Protestor) at GAO, Court of Federal Claims, SBA OHA and Agency Boards involving significant multi-year contract awards. (reported and unreported descriptions available)
- Defended Hospital Client in alleged False Claim Act based on alleged improper referrals
Maynard, Cooper & Gale, P.C. is pleased to announce that Jon Davidson Levin has joined the firm’s Huntsville office. Mr. Levin is a member of the General Corporate and Government Contracts and Bid Protests practice groups.
Birmingham, Ala. – Maynard, Cooper & Gale shareholder Alvin L. “Peck” Fox has been elected Vice Chairman of State Law Resources. State Law Resources, Inc., is an international network of independent law firms, for which Maynard Cooper is the Alabama representative. There is one law firm per state in the United States and one firm per developed country outside the United States. Firms are selected for their experience in government relations and administrative and regulatory law. Each member firm also has unique public-and private-sector experience.
Birmingham, Ala. – Fifty-four lawyers from Maynard, Cooper & Gale, P.C. are recognized as leading lawyers in the 2010 edition of Alabama Super Lawyers, an independent lawyer rating publication. Of these fifty-four attorneys, nine attorneys - Lee E. Bains, Jr., Elizabeth G. Beaube, Stephen E. Brown, Mark L. Drew, Fournier J. “Boots” Gale III, Maibeth J. Porter, Kirby Sevier, Robert R. Sexton and H. Thomas Wells, Jr. - are included in the Top 50 list. In addition, five Maynard Cooper attorneys – Elizabeth G. Beaube, Carol Sue Nelson, Maibeth J. Porter, Frances King Quick and Katharine A. Weber - made the list of the Top 25 women receiving the highest point totals.